- 1 What does lateral and medial mean in anatomy?
- 2 What body parts are lateral?
- 3 What are the terms used in anatomy?
- 4 What is the prefix for lateral in medical terms?
- 5 What are the 4 body positions?
- 6 What is the meaning of lateral side?
- 7 Are the lungs lateral to the heart?
- 8 Is the nose lateral to the ears?
- 9 Is dorsal front or back?
- 10 What are the 10 directional terms?
- 11 What are the 3 planes of the body?
- 12 What are the 78 organs in the human body?
- 13 What is lateral example?
- 14 What is the root word of lateral?
- 15 What is another word for lateral?
What does lateral and medial mean in anatomy?
Medial – toward the midline of the body (example, the middle toe is located at the medial side of the foot). Lateral – away from the midline of the body (example, the little toe is located at the lateral side of the foot).
What body parts are lateral?
Lateral is the side of the body or part of the body that is away from the middle. So arms are lateral to the torso while the torso is medial to the arms.
What are the terms used in anatomy?
To compare the location of body parts relative to each other, anatomy uses some universal directional terms: anterior, posterior, ventral, dorsal, distal, proximal, medial, lateral, median, superior, inferior, external, internal, frontal, occipital, rostral, caudal, superficial, deep, central, peripheral, ipsilateral,
What is the prefix for lateral in medical terms?
Combining form meaning lateral, to one side.
What are the 4 body positions?
The four main anatomical positions are: supine, prone, right lateral recumbent, and left lateral recumbent. Each position is used in different medical circumstances.
What is the meaning of lateral side?
Medical Definition of lateral: of or relating to the side especially, of a body part: lying at or extending toward the right or left side: lying away from the median axis of the body the lungs are lateral to the heart the lateral branch of the axillary artery.
Are the lungs lateral to the heart?
The lungs lie lateral to the heart. The heart lies medial to the lungs.
Is the nose lateral to the ears?
Medial and Lateral Medial means towards the midline, lateral means away from the midline. Examples: The eye is lateral to the nose. The nose is medial to the ears.
Is dorsal front or back?
Anterior (or ventral) Describes the front or direction toward the front of the body. Posterior (or dorsal ) Describes the back or direction toward the back of the body.
What are the 10 directional terms?
Anatomical Directional Terms
- Anterior: In front of, front.
- Posterior: After, behind, following, toward the rear.
- Distal: Away from, farther from the origin.
- Proximal: Near, closer to the origin.
- Dorsal: Near the upper surface, toward the back.
- Ventral: Toward the bottom, toward the belly.
- Superior: Above, over.
What are the 3 planes of the body?
The three planes of motion are the sagittal, frontal and transverse planes.
What are the 78 organs in the human body?
What Are the 78 Organs of the Human Body?
- Adrenal glands.
- Bladder (urinary)
- Bone marrow (spongy part of the bone)
- Bronchi (tubes in the lungs)
What is lateral example?
Lateral means to the side of, or away from, the middle of the body. Examples: The ears are lateral to the nose. The arms are lateral to the chest.
What is the root word of lateral?
The adjective lateral comes from the Latin word lateralis, which means “belonging to the side” and the modern meaning is basically the same.
What is another word for lateral?
In this page you can discover 23 synonyms, antonyms, idiomatic expressions, and related words for lateral, like: pass, oblique, sidelong, side -by- side, parallel, side, flanking, sideward, sideways, central and centered.