- 1 What is posterior anatomy?
- 2 Is posterior back or front?
- 3 What does posterior or dorsal mean?
- 4 What is the medical term posterior mean?
- 5 What is an example of posterior?
- 6 Is the heart posterior to the lungs?
- 7 Does posterior mean back?
- 8 What is the difference between the anterior and posterior?
- 9 Which plane divides the body into anterior and posterior?
- 10 Is dorsal a top or bottom?
- 11 What are the 4 body positions?
- 12 What are the 4 main anatomical positions?
- 13 What’s another word for posterior in anatomy?
- 14 What term means the same as posterior?
- 15 How do you use the word posterior in a sentence?
What is posterior anatomy?
Posterior (or dorsal ) Describes the back or direction toward the back of the body. The popliteus is posterior to the patella. Inferior (or caudal) describes a position below or lower than another part of the body proper; near or toward the tail (in humans, the coccyx, or lowest part of the spinal column).
Is posterior back or front?
Anterior and Posterior Anterior refers to the ‘ front ‘, and posterior refers to the ‘ back ‘.
What does posterior or dorsal mean?
Posterior (or dorsal ) Describes the back or direction toward the back of the body. Lateral describes the side or direction toward the side of the body.
What is the medical term posterior mean?
Posterior: The back or behind, as opposed to the anterior.
What is an example of posterior?
An example of a posterior is a person’s rear. The definition of posterior is later, following, after or at the rear. An example of something posterior is the dorsal fin on a shark; a posterior fin. Relating to the caudal end of the body in quadrupeds or the back of the body in humans and other primates.
Is the heart posterior to the lungs?
The heart is situated in the middle of the two lungs and in front of a vertebral column in a thoracic cavity. However it is located posterior (behind) to the breastbone plate i.e sternum.
Does posterior mean back?
Posterior comes from the Latin word posterus, meaning “coming after”. Posterior is often used as a technical term in biology and medicine to refer to the back side of things, and is the opposite of anterior, which refers to the front side.
What is the difference between the anterior and posterior?
The difference between anterior and posterior is simple: anterior means near or towards the front of something and posterior means near or towards the back.
Which plane divides the body into anterior and posterior?
Coronal Plane (Frontal Plane ) – A vertical plane running from side to side; divides the body or any of its parts into anterior and posterior portions.
The dorsal (from Latin dorsum ‘back’) surface of an organism refers to the back, or upper side, of an organism. If talking about the skull, the dorsal side is the top. The ventral (from Latin venter ‘belly’) surface refers to the front, or lower side, of an organism.
What are the 4 body positions?
The four main anatomical positions are: supine, prone, right lateral recumbent, and left lateral recumbent. Each position is used in different medical circumstances.
What are the 4 main anatomical positions?
1.6 Planes of Reference and Directional Terms All definitions provided here assume that the human skeleton is in standard anatomical position, that is, standing erect, looking forward, with the feet close and parallel to each other, the arms at the sides, and the palms facing forward (Fig. 1.6. 1). Figure 1.6.
What’s another word for posterior in anatomy?
What is another word for posterior?
What term means the same as posterior?
VENTRAL. TERM WITH SAME MEANING AS POSTERIOR.
How do you use the word posterior in a sentence?
Posterior in a Sentence
- In anatomy class, students learned the term “ posterior ” refers to the back of a body.
- The coroner noted the bullet entered through the front shoulder of the right arm and exited through the victim’s posterior shoulder.